The temple's second gate (1699) is shown here. It shelters a set of four directional guardians (see next page). The original temple was established in 678 AD as a Hwaeom foundation. Nearly destroyed during the Imjin war, it was re-established in 1613, and today is one of the head temples of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism. The temple's extensive religious activities include a popular temple stay program for visitors.
A sample of the temple's buildings and features is given in the following pages. For more information, see e.g.