Matsumoto City, in Nagano Prefecture
Matsumoto-jo, also known as "Karasu-jo" (Crow Castle) for its dark coloration, was built in the 1590s, shortly before the establishment of the Shogunate. It has undergone much repair and restoration, but still maintains a physical continuity with the Edo period original. The castle keep (built 1593-1594) is seen here from across the inner moat. The rest of the castle - its outer walls, buildings, and moats - no longer exists, having been removed in the 19th century during the Meiji Restoration.
The west face of the keep, with its distinctive red bridge, is shown here.