D. T. Suzuki Museum
Higashi Chaya District
Nagamachi Samurai District
Kanazawa was the seat of the Maeda, daimyo of Kaga, from 1583 until the end of the Edo period in 1868. The castle town provided security and prosperity for its residents: the samurai retainers who served the Maeda, the merchants who served the samurai, and the workers who served them all. Favorable conditions resulted in rapid growth: by 1700 Kanazawa achieved a population of over 100,000 people, the fourth largest in Japan.
Kanazawa today is the capital of Ishikawa prefecture; its historic town center gives an idea of what life was like in this bustling and prosperous city during the age of the samurai.