Candi Singosari, East Java
For many visitors, the most impressive remains of Singosari will be two larger-than-life dvarapalas, shown here and on the next page, who guard the former royal cemeteries to the west of the temple. Wielding clubs and scowling ferociously, they are decorated with snakes and skulls. Like the temple itself, the guardians date to the late 13th century (reign of Kertanagara, Singosari dynasty, 1268-1292.)
Alternate spellings: Kertanegara, and Singhasari.