Virupaksha Temple, Vijayanagara
Virupaksha temple is an old foundation, rebuilt in 1510 for the coronation of King Krishnadevaraya. The tall eastern gopura and other renovations are 19th century. (Click here for a view of the temple from Hemakuta Hill.)
Virupaksha is a form of Shiva, as the husband of the personified Tungabhadra river; the sacred marriage is celebrated in an annual festival at the temple.