High Court

Calcutta, 1872

This important neo-Gothic building houses the state High Court of West Bengal. It was built by Walter Granville, and is located near Governor's House. The arcaded building surrounds a central courtyard. The building's uneven profile, noticable where the wings join the tower, is due to ground subsidence – a reminder that Calcutta was built on the mud flats of the Hooghly River.