Bombay (Mumbai), India
Originally a collection of fishing villages, Bombay was ceded in the 16th century to the Portuguese, who handed it over to the British in 1668 as part of the dowry for Charles II's marriage to Catherine of Braganza. The city developed rapidly into a strategic seaport, linking the coastal Indian trade to ports on the Persian Gulf, the Red Sea, and East Africa.
This photograph was taken on the ferry to Elephanta, looking back (west) towards the shore. Photo right is the Gateway of India (1924), built to commemorate a visit of George V. Left is the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel (Palace, 1903; Tower, 1973).