Bishan Si

Wutai Shan

The first temple, to occupy the spot where Bishan Temple is now located, was founded by Emperor Xiaowen (471-499 AD) of the Northern Wei dynasty. It was rebuilt as a Chan (Zen) temple in 1486, and then in 1698 as Bishan Si under the sponsorship of Kangxi. The temple retains its Chan affiliation to the present day. Shown here is the temple's pailou, with its 4-character inscription and elaborate dougong.